Global Scholars Program Overview:
Global Scholars, a new academic initiative administered by the Global Studies program, that takes an interdisciplinary approach to exploring critical global trends and issues. Through their participation in this multi-year program, selected Global Scholars will be mentored and challenged to engage with new concepts and generate innovative questions as they enter and examine the complexities of the always evolving and interconnected world.
The Global Scholars will be selected at the end of their first year and will form a new academic cohort that will be expected to participate in this program until they graduate. In addition to receiving the Global Scholars designation, they will also receive a Global Scholars certificate upon graduation if they have fulfilled all the requirements and expectations. Though some Global Scholars may choose to be Global Studies concentrators, it is not a requirement of the Global Scholars program.
All Global Scholars will be expected to complete the following academic requirements:
1) 100 level intro course GBST 111"Global Perspectives", fall, sophomore year.
2) Group Winter Study travel course, winter study, sophomore year.
3) Foreign language competency (students can place out of this requirement) at least 4 or 5 semesters of college language.
4) Research colloquium/Independent Study, GBST 398 fall semester, senior year (can be substituted for honors thesis seminar in another department.)
Selected Global Scholars will have access to the following:
1) Summer funding for research/internship/intensive language program (sophomore/junior and junior/senior year)
2) Funding for research/travel during winter study, junior and senior years
3) Faculty mentorship and advising for the entirety of the program
How to Apply:
Applications are due on February 15th for all first-year applicants.
1) Search for "Global Scholars" under Program Options
2) Hit the "Apply Now" button on your program brochure page
3) You will need to select the term "Global Scholars 2023"
4) If you do not already have a Terra Dotta account, you will need to login to Terra Dotta using the “Campus Login” option. This should allow you to login directly through your single sign on Google credentials.